New FO: Hexagonal cube

Posted by Suzie on Sunday, 28 April 2013 at 19:24
+add comment

You might remember seeing this project at an early stage back in 2011, when I set about transforming a low-cost IKEA footstool into a beautiful piece of furniture…

Hexagon-covered IKEA footstool

This project was to become the prototype for my Hexagon Blanket pattern – knitting a flat hexagon being a tricky thing to perfect!

It has been an elaborate project – knitted at a tighter gauge than usual then lightly felted in order to create a dense fabric, suitable for upholstery. Earlier pieces were misshapen after felting and had to be aggressively blocked. I machine-sewed the pieces together with raw edges exposed, but I wasn’t happy with how it looked and I decided to blanket-stitch over the edges with black yarn. I added a black garter-stitch band around the bottom to balance the uneven edges and complement the black stitching.

Detail

The project took quite a lot of yarn, as you’d expect – mainly used Noro Silk Garden in shade 204 and Kureyon in shade 124, as well as numerous left-overs. I discovered quite early on that switching yarns mid hexagon looks much better at the start of a segment.

I thought I’d chosen relatively muted colours and was taken aback by how characteristically bold the piece is. It seems that I just can’t help myself! It also demonstrates that combining brights with neutrals makes them pop even more.

Full details of the yarns used are on the Ravelry project page.


start the discussion!

Explore more

Post a comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *