A nautical cabled cowl with draw-cord fastening and rippled textures, inspired by the rugged West Cornwall coast.
PDF knitting pattern
The all-over cable pattern is deceptively simple and makes for a snug fabric that’s sure to keep those sea (or land!) breezes at bay. Picot edging and pompom fastening add a touch of class.
The garment is worked in one piece, in the round. Both written and charted cable instructions are provided as well as a photo-tutorial for creating the carrier. It’s a one-skein project designed for our Awesome Aran yarn.
Intermediate – suitable for knitters with previous experience of cable knitting and knitting in-the-round.
Approximate size when blocked, laid flat
|Width at upper edge||27||10½|
|Width at lower edge||31||12¼|
It’s a Stitch Up Awesome Aran – Hand-dyed 100% British Bluefaced Leicester superwash wool
Pattern uses 1 x 100g skein (166m/182 yards) in ‘Heart of Glass‘.
The suggested yarn can be substituted for any aran-weight wool yarn. Solid or semi-solid colours work best with this design.
Needles & equipment
- 4mm (US 6) straight or circular needles
- 4.5mm (US 7) circular needle at least 80cm/32 inches
- 5mm (US 8) circular needle at least 80cm/32 inches
- 4.5mm (US 7) short circular needle or set of double-pointed needles
- Spare needle, 4mm (US 6) or smaller
- Cable needle, 4.5mm (US 7) or smaller (optional)
- 4.5-6.5mm/1¾-2½ inch pompom maker (Clover size S or M) (optional)